Friday, October 10, 2008

In writing, you can be anyone you want


A while back my wife had just finished reading a short salutation that I wrote on my blog (So long 2007! -Dec. 31st 2007) when she quipped "That doesn't sound like you at all".

I'll admit the words weren't something that one would hear me actually say on a regular basis, but nonetheless it was something I truly felt at the time and had to convey in my message.

The thing is when you write, you can really become (or be) anyone that you want. It's kind of an anonymous profession where outside of anyone who personally knows you you're free to take on a persona of your choice. And pen names can add that final layer of anonymity, just look at J.K. Rowling.

I'll be the first to say that I have a long way to go in my quest at becoming the next Ernest Hemingway, but I believe that even in my literary infancy my pen speaks louder and clearer than my spoken word.

This became evident in all of us really when we were children. When you were in the sixth grade there was no way you could profess your undying love for little Suzy in any other way than by letter. A few scribbled words later and you were good to go. If you sat and tried to think of what to actually SAY to her, she just might graduate from college and start a family before you could find the right words or the courage to confront her.

What makes writing easier for me is that I suffer from a condition called "I think too much therefore I can't speak" syndrome. I know what I mean to say, I just don't say it when the whole process translates from thought to audible grunts and tones.

The other nice thing about writing is that I get as many chances as I'd like at sounding good. Perfection, or something close to it, is just a few keystrokes and a Delete button away. On the other hand you only get one stab at getting it right verbally before you either make your point or you roll eyes and clear a room.

If your objective is to offend someone, then it's much easier (and safer) to do it in writing than verbally. Although I recall never having a problem doing this in person before, my older and wiser self thinks otherwise today.

And some people are hard to get a face-to-face with so you find yourself at times forced to handle issues in this fashion. Like Hugo Chavez for instance. Man, if I could get five minutes with that guy. But who am I kidding? I'd tell him to read my blog (The NO List -January 25, 2008) and then run like hell before his armed guards could shoot me.

You can play with styles too. It doesn't matter if you're a beer and pizza kind of guy, you can come off like a wine and cheese socialite if you pen your words right. I for one have yet to discover what my particular style is. I haven't attempted fiction so most of my stories are more or less journals and editorials. And because of this I tend to think of myself as more of a Tony Bourdain than a Bill Shakespeare but that all depends on content and emotion. I can change faster than a bipolar chick five days past her prescription refill so what I choose to write about at any given time is any one's guess.

So for now I'm having fun doing just that, not knowing what it is that I'll go rambling on about. What I do know is that I'm going to keep on doing it, whether it sounds like me or not.

No comments: