Thursday, September 6, 2007

Get on your bikes and ride!


As exulted by the late great Freddie Mercury of Queen, I think everyone should do it.

Turn back the clock about 25 years and you would see that I used to be a distance runner in my younger days. I remember when I'd put in at least 5-10 miles before I even made it to work in the morning. Then, if some of my fellow runners were up for it, we'd put in at least the same distance after quitting time. But after many years of pounding, not only from the miles I ran but the hockey games I played in, my joints aren't what they used to be. Combine that with the fact that I get tired just watching someone jog and you can see this once important part of my life is not so appealing any more.

A little over a year ago a guy I know suggested riding bicycles. He couldn't say enough about the sport. From the health benefits associated with it to the camaraderie of other riders and the new friends that you make. He was sold on it and making a hard pitch to me. This guy by the way isn't some newbie like me who just got started. He's been doing it for years now and boasts 250 to 300 mile weeks! He also has a stable of bikes to handle any terrain that he may choose to take in, with his prize piece being an all carbon fiber road bike that most likely weighs less than my wheels alone. I don't dare ask how much he shelled out for that thing but I can be quite certain that I'll never own one.

So he put in a phone call to his good friends at Bike-n-Ski in Sheboygan and less than two weeks later I strolled out of there with a brand new Trek 7.3 Hybrid. My initial reason for this purchase was first and foremost to stay in shape as well as doing my part in stickin' it to the oil companies for their outrageous prices that we're forced to pay at the pumps. I planned on riding to work and back at least twice a week and see where I could go from there. But the bug bit me, and it bit hard I might say. I now find myself getting up at 5am to put a 15 mile ride in just about any chance I get. Add that to the 30 mile round trips to work and its beginning to add up fast. Maybe that 200 mile week won't be that hard to reach after all?


I decided to take it one step further this year and enter my first ride for charity. The Lance Armstrong Foundation puts on a ride at Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin every year when the ALMS and Champ Cars show up to race. Once the cars are through for the day they open up the 4.1 mile road course and about 400 riders from every walk of life embark on their own personal missions. Mine was two-fold. Don't get lapped by the Pros, and make it at least 5 times around the track in the time allotted.

At least one of two objectives were met as by lap four I was passed by about six of the lead riders. I had eventually pulled away from the group behind me and had a pretty clear road ahead as well. It appeared that it was just me and the road, if only for a brief moment. Heading into the carousel turn the soft sounds of my chain and nature around me were shattered by "Inside, Inside, Inside!" erupting from several individuals who were traveling at a much higher rate of speed and who were committed to the inside line on the track. I held my ground and in one swift pass their train was gone. By the time I got out of the carousel and onto the long backstraight they were barely in my sights anymore. Back to me and nature again.

I did manage to finish 5 laps of the course but that was all I was allowed to complete. I felt I could have easily finished another lap, if not two, but track repairs being done while we were on the course made it downright dangerous for us and tough on the workers trying to do their job. I was a little disappointed at first, but when I realized that on my last lap I almost painted myself on the back of a truck who decided to stop right in front of me I figured I probably should quit while I was ahead anyway.


So my next opportunity comes next month when I enter the Tyranena Octoberfest ride. It's offered in several different distances to suit any rider and I think I'm going to try and complete the 42 mile version. I've been trying to eat right and train as much as I can so I'm pretty confident I should do well. Hopefully you'll be reading about it here and not in the obituaries of the Journal Sentinel.

No comments: