Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Tailgating 101


I couldn't believe what he was saying. "What are those people doing in the parking lot of the stadium?" asked my son. "That's Tailgating" I replied. "Tail-whating?" he said.

I assumed everyone from birth naturally knew what this form of pre game ceremony was. And being from Wisconsin, I'm pretty darn sure we invented it. I don't think there are many cities that put such an emphasis on this activity aside from the lightweights in Minnesota who brave the cold before Vikings games only to come into a heated stadium afterward. We Packer fans endure the elements from start to finish with only our knuckleheaded neighbors to our south being able to rival us.

I wasn't about to baptize the young one into our tailgating rituals at a Packer game (not just because of the climate but I can't afford the tickets) so his grandfather and I took him to a Brewers game instead.

We got to the stadium and set up about two hours before the game. We arrived just in time as all the prime real estate in the lots were gone in literally minutes. I thought we came well prepared with chairs, a full cooler, grille, mits and ball, etc. But looking around at others I quickly realized that I don't take it as seriously as some do. There were grilles the size of my truck's bed, tents, and tv's, you name it they had it. I was once at a game where a group brought old living room furniture with them.


So there we were in our own little den in the parking lot. It was about 90 degrees and the sun was baking directly on us but I wouldn't have it any other way. My game plan was to stuff us all with beer, soda, and burgers so we didn't have to spend a dime once we got in. It's relatively easy to go broke on four dollar brats and six-fifty beers. Although my dad and I were content, I underestimated the stomach of a 13 year old boy as I still had to pay double eye gouge plus tax for 2 ice creams and a soda pop. All money well spent for the kid's first time and a great win by the home team.

No comments: